Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Thursday 3 February 2011

Our Daily Bread Challenge / Christmas Card Challenge - Brayer on Acetate

Well here is my entry to two challenges - and hopefully make the cut off date for both.

As per my post yesterday one of these had working with acetate (2011 Christmas Card Challenge Week #9) and the other is with Our Daily Bread  -blues-challenge

The acetate was a challenge in more ways than one! I used Archival Jet black on the acetate for the tree stamp from Victorine Originals in the US (and did two stamps for two cards, with two moons on post-it notes circles if you look at last post on the original brayering). The black stamp did not take long to dry, you ink on one side allow a few hours and then colour on the reverse side to which you have stamped.Brayering on acetate?!..

Well it was a learning curve! I sprinkled the brayered ink on the back with extra fine glitter and attempted to set it with a spray glue..But this did not totally take, however by using brads to attach there were no real issues here.

As there was insufficient brayered colour on it, underneath the acetate I attached Stampin Up Glossy White cardstock, upon which I had brayered the same colours as on acetate.  I was using Broken China and Adirondack Lights in Cloudy blue and Cool Peri and the Twilight Purple too - just very tiny bit at the top and carefully and gently blended that it in, as it a very dark colour.  Our Daily Bread Greeting was stamped on Labels 4 Nesties, coloured with Bashful Blue and mounted on Black, the Snowflake Cuttlebug folder is also in Bashful Blue.

Well, I now have another one to finish as I did two acetates at once, so two more Christmas cards on the way.. Yay!

This is my very first lot of Daily bread stamps which I used for first time today and must say I was incredibly pressed with their quality. I have been stamping for 18 years and they are some of the best I have ever used, and also I love the calligraphic style of the beautiful words of God! I do particularly like this Christmas set.

Thanks, Our Daily Bread.

 God bless till next time and rejoicing that it was not worse with cyclone Yasi – answered prayer but still so much devastation so I am praying for all in the clean up, and post trauma.

Love Shaz in Oz. x

Oh, and a big special thank you to my new following encourager's! I am still pinching my self over some folk liking my work!!

PPS A note from Maggie C. Silvercrafter :

Thanks for sharing . I have not tried brayering on acetate, but I have printed on it and then coloured in with Sakura pens, which works well. I have also used peel-offs, flowers and that sort of thing, and coloured those in from the back. A third method is to scan a stamp onto your computer, flip it digitally, and print it on the acetate, and either colour it or add silver or gold leaf to the back. The scanning of the stamp should not be done if you are doing it for sale, and it could be a good idea to ask the designer if they are ok with you adapting their design in this way (I asked Barbara Gray and she was fine with it as it was not for sale).

Thanks Maggie!

PS. Here is the second card, and yes! I know - it was late at night (any other late night crafters out there?) when I put the final piece on card, top piece of acetate and was on a little to the left before I realised and could not adjust it (sigh, at least it was straight!) it gripped, never to be removed. 

Changed the layout and background, used the Herringbone Embossing folder as love it with brayer work, and used my "extend the folder" method (see side labels) as it is only a small A2 Cuttlebug folder and this piece is almost double-sized, then attached a Fancy labels from Spellbinder to the sentiment just for added detail, and a chiffon ribbon.

Like a change anyway, and really will do this acetate again one downside it does not photograph colour evenly and apologise for that!

14 comments:

Neil said...

See, told you yesterday it was looking good! lovely card. Brilliant colours.

Elizabeth said...

Hi Shaz, the card turned out absolutely beautiful even though you really had to work at it to get the effect you wanted. I've not worked with acetate yet - a bit unsure of it really - but I can see I will have to experiment one day. Elizabeth x

Jan Keen said...

Beautiful Card, love your serene calming effect, and the verse too!

Sabrina Jackson said...

Shaz, this is one stunning Christmas card!! Thanks so much for taking the time to play along in this weeks Shining the Light Challenge over at ODBD! Hugs and blessings, Sabrina

Tania said...

Love the glitter on the image it such a beautiful scene.

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

What a stunning Christmas card. Beautiful scene and texture. Love the sparkle! Thanks for joining the ODBD Shining the Light challenge this week!

lisa said...

What a beautiful Christmas card. Your acetate is really clever. I bet it looks even more stunning in real life with the glitter.
Hugs Lisax

lizzy giggs said...

Way to go Shaz! I especially liked the way you staged your photo on the rocks. Very attractive!
lizzy!!!

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

I also love your photographic background, shows off your masterpieces perfectly. Glad your acetate experiments turned out so beautifully. If the glitter caused a problem with glue after, you could try the Crafters Companion spray glitter. That seems to take spray glue afterwards. The other alternative to brads is to mount the acetate in an aperture card (3 fold), with your brayered background behind it on the inside of the card. Your two are so beautiful.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

So pretty, thanks for sharing!

Hey, I have a giveaway here, please come join in the fun!
http://pixiedustpaperie.blogspot.com/2011/02/pixie-dust-paperie-february-kit.html

Elizabeth said...

Hello Shaz, two visits in one post but this is just to say that if you pop over to my blog - there's a wee surprise for you there. Elizabeth x

Sarn said...

Very, very pretty.
I've visiting your blog from Eileen's Crafty Zone link. Glad I did.
Hugs, Sandra

Victoria said...

Love this card, Shaz! Beautiful!

Saints Rule! said...

Fabulous! Love the textures, colors and feel of this beauty! Hugs and blessings...

Lori

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...