Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Wednesday 3 July 2013

How to Cut A Die Outside the Image ~ WOYWW

Hullo there, everyone ~ another week is on its way and here is is Wednesday, so we are linking over to Julia's blog for "What is On Your Workdesk Wednesday" or WOYWW.
Look - here is WOYWW4 anniversary ATC from our wonderful leader of WOYWW ~ Julia of the Stampin Ground ~ howzat?? fab huh? 
I think WOYWW does put a smile all over our faces doesn't it"? thanks so much, Julia!

 What is more will show the making of a card today, although possibly most of you know how to do this. It is "Die cut outside the image - I saw it first on Tickled pink stamps several years ago but they have removed the page so have done steps by steps for today (see first post on my blog here and one here as well).  
Card I was making was a 3D card for Hazelnut's Christmas challenge this week. While watching le Tour de France at night, can do such  hand cutting etc. 
Looking at the base of this one, I wanted to cut in an oval, not the square ~ it fitted my design better. So decided as it was going to be ultra fiddly to work out where to cut around image, I needed a light imprint to start with. Here am working it out. I mounted it on card too before this stage, to make it stronger than thin paper they make these on.
1. I ran the test sheet through the die, as if embossing, with rubber mat. Removed both thin shims normally used when embossing with rubber mat and two B plates on Cuttlebug. Okay! so..
2. I put proper piece through after lining up carefully - with oval at correct angle. (these two steps were not on original post I saw).
 3.Then cut out the pieces that are going to show outside the image edge, making sure you do fraction more in so you can lift it up and over the die.
4. Cut the die out - voilĂ  - it worked - big smile! :D
 
 So here is my desk with the card sort of going somewhere at the bottom right - nearly finished it, will post it later. Also another card which am working on right as well. Here is close up of the image in 3D.
To close here tis the Aussie beach scene for the day, down at the mouth of the creek.
We dont have any clouds today as our winter sunshine is turned up full, a lovely 20c approx. So nice to see sun, as we have had run of wet days this past week. It is school hols, so very pleased for the children too.
Happy WOYWW everyone and thanks for popping over for a peek and chat. May God bless your day wherever you may be!
Shaz in Oz.x
 
PS for those who might be looking at my brother's Tour de France blog - he has not been able to update it yet due to problems with wi-fi where he has been. Sometimes happens when they are on the move. But will update tomorrow or next day.

Oh, and have picked pineapple, but not cut etc - will do an update next week, God willing, weight 1.38 kg with top on, not bad, huh?

PPS Here is the finished card, to see better see post above this one, or link over here.

31 comments:

Anne said...

Hi Shaz, St Malo is about a 45min car journey from us, tell your bruv to pop in for a cuppa! Your winter is turning out to be warmer than our summer!!!! Love your busy desk & monkey as always. I diecut out of scrap, line that up over my image then carefully place my die and tape with removable tape. Thanks for your tip...sounds easier! :O) #34

Betsy said...

Beautiful again to be sure. :-) I especially love the beach scene ,
Blessings,
Betsy

Neet said...

Thanks for your picture which reminds me of a summers day here in the UK at the coast.
Lovely card - what a gorgeous die cut that sets the picture off perfectly.
Hope all is well my friend.
Love Neet 16 xx

Silvia said...

A beautiful reminder of lazy Summer Days.
Silvia #51

Sandy said...

Wow your pineapple turned out huge. Was it tasty?.. Great card you have made love the edge is is so clever..
Sandy :) #42

Carol Willis said...

Thanks for sharing Shaz, mine never come out quite right.
Enjoy your pineapple.
Hugs
Caz x

Sarn said...

Thanks for the info Shaz. Pretty card.

Happy WOYWW xxx

Laura said...

Ah, the view :)
Laura
83

House of Bears said...

That's a clever technique. We may have to pull out the Nesties dies and have a go.

Hugs from the bears @#92 this week

Mrs.D said...

That card technique looks very sophisticated and advanced. I'm not sure I am up to such superior stuff but I like the blue card with the butterfly, that is gorgeous.

Monique said...

What a clever idea, looks great.
Happy WOYWW and I wish you a lovely week.
xx Monique #74

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I've been enjoying the Tour de France..we are addicts chez LLJ!! Wasn't the scenery in Corsica fantastic? I had no idea it was so lovely...hmmm, maybe a holiday beckons :-) hope your brother is ok and enjoying it all!
Hugs, LLJ 59 xx

shazsilverwolf said...

Morning Shaz, great how to on that card. Love the die cut frame, beautiful! Have a good week,Hugs, Shaz #41 xx

Karen said...

The first thing I noticed was your monkeys - how cute!!! The die cut frame really makes your image pop out, lovely idea. Your view is absolutely wonderful! Keep smiling! ♥ Karen ♥ 97 x

ike said...

YaY !! That is so clever and your card is AWESOME !! Who'd have thought of doing that ??? Fabulous - thank you for sharing.

Happy WOYWW

IKE xx #30

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the helpful information, dear friend. Have a wonderful day!

Hugs!

ria gall said...

Hi Shaz
a great reminder on how to do the cutting outside the die I first saw Sue Wilson do it and it can make a big difference to your card
Happy WOYWW enjoy the rest of your week
Ria #52

The Taming of the Glue said...

Great tips for die cutting, many thanks. The beach photo is stunning, wish I was there! Hugs. Pam#27

Julia Dunnit said...

A one and a half kilo pineapple and a winter day temperature that equals our good summers' day..no, not bad at all dear Shaz! Lovely pic of the beach too, makes me wistful!
Now what a great idea for the die cutting - thank you for sharing that, and so clear too.

Anne said...

Hello love the card and the beach photo. As someone said your winter temp is like our summer one if we are lucky!!! I remember when I was in Aus in August I couldn't understand why people had jackets on!!! We were in shorts and T shirts :-)
I'm sorry I didn't visit last week.I did link then went back to start visiting my link had disappeared. Intended then to just visit a few of ones I follow regularly but was so tied up with helping mum I didn't manage it. Anne x #65 (hopefully :-) )

Belinda Basson said...

Always love a visit to your desk. Such useful tips and ideas. Great beach shot. #49

Lisa-Jane said...

What a clever option! Great to see you.

lisa said...

You always have such interesting tips for us Shaz and I love your beach photos. I had to laugh at your winter sunshine of 20oc. It's mid summer here and we haven't reached that!!!! They are promising summer at the weekend though!!
Hugs Lisax #72

Darnell said...

That is some great pineapple, Shaz! I can't wait to hear about the taste and see it after cutting! Thank you so much for the informative post on partial cutting with dies! Your card is spectacular!!

All the best and thank you for coming by to visit the Playhouse! Happy WOYWW!! Darnell #77

Cazzy said...

Hi Shaz,

I second that on bloglovin, wished I hadn't bothered, of course Google isn't going to just drop us, there is something there still I can see all the blogs I follow still in the dashboard like normal!

I have to mark my images with a pencil where I am going to cut, then rub them out afterwards or I get it wrong on outside the die images!

Cazzy x #113

Elizabeth said...

Looks like you have been as busy as ever! I'm catching up with WOYWW after what seems like ages of non-crafty time! #118

Eliza said...

I love how you upcycle those cards, you do such a brilliant job at it. I l know you are in Australia but where abouts up north? Stay warm it is really, really cold today in Melbourne.

Happy WOYWW
Eliza & Yoda 81

Craftychris said...

Thank you for the info! Fab pinapple too. xx

Hettie said...

Oh to have a summer at 20c let alone a Summer! I wonder if you are having our summer right now!
Lovely card there and that ATC is great!
Hugs
xx

fairy thoughts said...

Hi Shaz busy desk as usual interesting use of the dies but I am sad to see so much festive stuff at the moment, still looking forward to summer!
watching the tennis has made me late this week go andy!
janet #31

Elizabeth said...

Hi Shaz, apologies for being so late popping over, I've been a bit distracted by the tennis of late. Great post and many thanks for the tutorial on how to do this particular die-cutting trick. I've wanted to have a go at doing this for some time but couldn't think how to go about it - your tips will help enormously. Lovely pic of your Aussie beach. Hugs, Elizabeth x #60

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...