Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Tuesday 9 October 2012

Huntsman Spiders, Gumnuts + Christmas Card ~ Marianne Designables Frame

 For card challenge please scroll down- ta!! :D
Hullo there everyone!!
 Firstly a big thank you for all good wishes last week after cataract surgery am slowly, but impatiently mending. It is 4 weeks till can get new glasses, + drops, etc. 4 x day for those weeks... computer is easier than reading as has a magnifier, oh, I love that.
But we are very blessed we can have it done are we not?? 
I am so am thankful to the Lord for that, also thankful for blogging friends for cheering my heart. 
Your caring and comments mean so much to me.

 Oh, an unusual post! ....an incident sent me scurrying two days ago! 
I had a post ready to go which did before surgery but just had to show you this!
 
"Huntsman Spider - Olios Calligaster. Most species of Olios are found clambering in the foliage of shrubs (or roses). They have humped backs and a raised stance - unlike the more usual flat huntsman that scuttle over tree trunks and walls. Most Huntsman are harmless, but Olios reputedly causes illness with its bites."

{Copied from Readers Digest's "Australia's Dangerous Creatures" p. 180-1 
Click to make it easier to see if you want to that is :D}

{Taken two days after decease - R.I.P}
Ah, the joys of roses are mixed at times. This dead creature above entered via my roses!!
HOUSE RULE : - if you enter our abode and you have eight legs, you will suffer the consequences!
 Not actually on these roses but a bigger bunch.
Picture this: Enter bathroom to clean teeth before retiring.
Spy a huge Olios Huntsman, his/ her back arched in self defense, its fangs at the ready.. Always also have ammo at the ready too, a quick prayer for effective aim, and spsssst!!! 
One wet, dewy with spray, huntsman and promptly put the can of spray on top of its prone corpse .. 
This is mean, but necessary. 
You dont want to try and sleep with them a roaming the house, I can tell you. There are differing varieties of huntsman but this is the worst of them. I have been bitten once by its tamer brother, Leopeda.
What always shocks me when I enter a room so innocently and see them thus, is that they come in with the roses which I held in glove-less hands, mind you!!

The fellow above its the first specimen of the season, glad washed these in bathroom as it confines him to there. If you do it in kitchen, our home is open plan and can end up in a bedroom, many a time!

Now to purpose of post:
 A Christmas card, with Dear Monkey from WOYWW (he says a BIG special hi to all the WOYWW-ers who come this way).
Card made with Snippets (so will join Di in her playground at the Snippets challenge - woo hoo!)
This piece a white card Marianne Frame Designables Folder 908, (white card with die cut frame given to me by Trish ages ago - thanks Trish) mounted on on red mirri card, stamp is wood mount one by Stamp-It Aust. 3943D "Silent Night" embossed with red embossing powder. I love this powder by Printblocks in Qld, my brother bought it and green matt embossing powder for a present, some years ago now, with some papers from there. Wow! that was special.

Added small leaves (from left over card-  see here this post) with Martha Stewart pine leaf punch and bling in red to make it look like holly, with red ribbon from last year's Christmas crackers. Really love this die/emboss folder and think may make up a number of these as they are quick and beautiful to my eye.

I would like to enter this card in these challenges:

1.Crafty Hazlenut's Challenge - Carol Singing! (Silent Night, Holy Night)

2.Just add Ink  - just add bright colours - this red embossed stamp etc. really stand out in real life

3. Sir Stamp A Lot's Challenge - Punch away - used dies and punch, and a stamp ( don't you love this name of this blog? reminds me of Moon-Face, Silky the fairy, The Saucepan Man, Dame Washalot, Mr. Watzisname and the Angry Pixie, from Enid Blyton's The Enchanted Wood, The Faraway tree etc.)

4. Sentimental Sundays - Anything Goes

 Thanks so much everyone for popping over for a peek and a chat and may the dear Lord bless your day wherever you may be!
Shaz in Oz.x
PS for those who saw the Gumblossoms a week ago ( see on this WOYWW Post here) I saw these at my sisters the other day and thought I would like to share the Gumnuts too, These are what are left after the flowers are gone!! what cute little gumnuts they are! This is a lemon flowering Gum, a Bloodwood, and a favourite for bird's nesting. They were staking it out, several different varieties, having bit of ding dong actually... 
oh and happy WOYWW, to all your WOYWW-ers out there!
I wont link over though as cant keep up the commenting, at the mo.


Addendum: For folk like B. who think all God's good creatures should be preserved, the reason one bit me once was because I felt the same. 
I changed my mind that night... no more, any who dares to enter will die! Once bitten twice shy...

Outside ~ they can do as they please as long as not on house eaves, as they come in that way and we have many beautiful good spiders.
I will try and get some photos of them one day, my favourite is St Andrew's Cross. The Orange Orb weaver is another beauty. They have a very sticky big big web,  and they catch bugs so that is very very good. Not so great if you get caught in it makes aright mess of your hair.
We have Red Back Spiders they are quite small, but will kill you if not given anti-venom and they have come inside too but not if kept off eaves or around edge of home am vigilant in that now.

24 comments:

Mrs A. said...

My boys say Hi to your Monkey and have now scampered up onto the the top of the wardrobe for safety! Defo don't want to meet one of those ona dark night. was interested to see the picture showing the nuts of the Gum flower. My latest oil painting is of a Kookaburra sitting on a branch of a Tasmanian Blue Gum so hope I have he colours right.
Thanks for letting me know about ticking that box. Hadn't seen it and wouldn't have known what it was for anyway. Blogger is still pretty much a mystery for me. Hope you continue to improve after your operation.Can inmagine how frustrating it must be for you. Double hugs Mrs A.

Jenny Marples said...

So glad to hear you continue to improve Shaz - sending best wishes and hugs to you.
Love the card, hate the spider, and thanks for showing us the fruit:) Hugs, Buttons x

brenda said...

Glad you are mensdng Shaz, as you say it a blessing we have these options available to us now. My Dad had both his eyes done and always called it a "miracle".

That's some spider, not that I mind them and always put them out before the dogs or cats get at them. At the end of the day they are just one of God's creatures are deserve to survive.

Beautiful elegant Christmas card.

Take care,

B x

Carol Willis said...

I'm not normally bothered by spiders. Having said that, I live in the UK and am extremely unlikely to come across one of these. I think I would probably have feinted and it could have bitten away to its hearts content. Eurghh!
Fabulous card though, love the embossing.
Hugs
Caz x

brenda said...

Hi again Shaz, you can tell I was well away with the fairies when I came earlier, or practice just in love with that spider.

Because I totally forgot to thank you for joining us at Stampalot challenge this month and so pleased you like our name.

B x

Lynne K said...

A beautifully elegant Christmas card. (Trying not to look at the spider!) Thank you for sharing it with us at Stampalot Challenge this month, and good luck.

Lynne

Di said...

WHAT IS THAT MONSTER?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Aaaaaaargh - I'm off......................

Di said...

How rude of me Shaz - but that scared the heck outta me. So, calm restored - I love your card!!! I have that same Marianne folder and adore it - you did such a brilliant job with it.

So pleased to hear to op. went fine - take it easy honey. And big hugs and thanks for your lovely comments, my sweet friend. Di xxx

Hazel said...

Love your CHristmas card - so elegant and effective - thanks for entering my CHNC challenge 93 - hope to see you again soon. x

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

I have always wanted to visit Oz but, having see that spider, I have definitely gone off the idea. My son went over there some years ago and spent some time grape picking. One of those large Huntsman spiders faced up to him, turning to follow him wherever he went. That one did not survive long either. By the way, in case I did not say it, your entry to Craft A Scene was really lovely and well deserving of your award. Hope your eyes continue to improve. Speak to you soon. xx Maggie

Anne said...

God's amazing creatures! However some are better squished, (poisenous spiders for one) or made into handbags, (crocodiles...) but incredible creature all the same! Just LOVE your card, beautiful stamp! I love what you did! And the gumnuts are terrific! I love it when seed pods are as decorative as the flower!Glad you are on the mend Shaz. Now stop giving yourself frights...and get a good nights sleep!
Big hugs! xxx

MaryH said...

Shaz, so wonderful to hear the eyes are continuing to get better. Your card is lovely...monogram is spectacular, and the Marianne folder was a lovely gift. You certainly did it justice! And I'm with you on the spider. Some creatures just ought to stay outside, away from humans! Your gumnut picture would make a marvelous card as well. You're a good photographer. I need some lessons. Hugs & TFS. Take good care of those eyes!

Sally H said...

Hello my friend. I love your beautiful card. Simply elegant. I also love spiders and will pick them up and take them outside here. I had to really stop myself from doing that on my Rwanda trip - they might not have been so harmless!

Sally H said...

whoops! Forgot to say Thanks for sharing at Sir Stampalot this month and good luck

Craftychris said...

That was a seriously scary spider! Love your card, its fabulous! I am so glad you are recovering well. It is wonderful what can be done these days - amazing! Take care xx

Hettie said...

Ewch!! You and Vicki showing pics of spiders!! I am not squeamish of them and will pick them up if desperate but not on the blogs!!
Monkey says Hi to his Big Brother!!
Beautiful card there Shaz!
Hugs
xx

Francesca said...

Lovely card hun , thanks for joining us at Sir Stampalot challenge this month and good luck!

Hugs
Francesca

Joyce across the Pond said...

Spinders...don't mind our kind but gosh those are kind of scary....glad you dealt with it swiftly. Lovely card - did you draw the 'H' yourself or is that a stamp?
Glad to hear you are going along ok...haven't forgotten you!

Sarah C. said...

I agree with you 100%, Shaz! Those spiders are God's creatures, but when they get into the home (especially the poisonous ones) they become like criminals and have to be dealt with accordingly! Since we cannot put them in jail we have to take more drastic measures...:P! Welcome to Spring! Although I think the weather has not fully decided to agree with this idea yet:) How's the weather been in Coffs lately? Up here it got rather windy and very cool all of a sudden yesterday...better today, but still cool...

Lovely cards, Shaz! I love them very much. I'm sorry I haven't been posting 'encourager' comments here lately, but your cards are so pretty and show great God-given talent:)
God Bless

~Sarah

sharon said...

Shaz I hope that you are on the mend, it is wonderful what they are able to do these days, my husband had is done at 46 years poor fella couldn't even see the TV. My Roses are also coming along, what a beautiful time of the year it is
Love your Christmas card with your dear monkey
Take care
hugs
sharon

scrappymo! said...

So sorry to hear that you are suffering with your eyes. My hubby had that surgery last fall. Those drops do so drag on and on..But once healed his sight is great.
There is some reluctance to drive at night now as he is bothered by the glare on a wet evening.

I pray you will have your sight be as needed for crafting:) Keep up with the drops! It will pay off.

I hate spiders as I have been bitten by a Black Widow when I was a kid and some unknown spider the following year. I am kind to the harmless but know my scary ones by sight!

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Shaz, I am hoping that you continue to improve every day.I am finally getting time to do some blog posts and to re-join WOYWW, seeems ages since I last was able. Have a lovely day Shaz, Love Shaz xx

Lindsay Weirich said...

good thing you had the eye surgary or you might not have seen that spider, yikes!

Maalai said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...