Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Monday 10 June 2013

How to make an Embossing Buddy/ Anti Static Pad?

Hullo there everyone - well here is a post have been meaning to do for a while .. as it is great super easy tip if you need it!!
I do have a Stampin Up embossing buddy but it has for some months now "gone walk-about" (as we say in Oz). The last time I remember using it was with my calligraphy, but have looked through it several times (plus crafty stash) without success.
Now a friend of mine who is calligrapher actually made her's. We pounce the calligraphy work before using ink on good paper, especially vellum, so the pen glides across the paper better, and not gripping into it. 
So thought would make one and show you, in case you lose yours too! If you dont know what it is used for, it is an anti static pad and removes the static from cardstock/paper before stamping, so your embossing powder does not stick in the wrong spot. Once you get used to one you really appreciate it.
First of all chose a nice piece of well-used, clean cotton or non synthetic rag ...my friend used well washed well-worn flannelette but I did not have any of that, so used another form of rag, cotton undies (which you might have been able to guess :D). 
The important thing is it is to be **not to be too thin, 
to be **non synthetic due to static in synthetic fabric, 
and **well woven.
Decided to cut it out with largest of circles from Spellbinder, but my friend just did a rough shape.
Then add a good amount (about two tablespoons) of talcum powder - it can be baby talc, or similar ie fine talcum. Tie it up with piece of string.
Cut edges around to tidy it up, now it is ready to  pounce away on any piece of paper before stamping image and adding embossing powder. Make a number of them while you are at it, so you wont be lost for one again! ( Edit Feb 2019: I made six, and refill them when thin and no powder left).
Just for the record I have been using it for two months now, with complete success! still not found the missing one!

I will just close with a card made with Chris Dark image which was freebie digi and printed out ages ago, so using up my Snippets Miss! Coloured with pan pastels and tombow marker. This LOTV new home greeting was also in snippets drawer, so made up and new home card for Nat and Jay! I used my one and only roll of Washi tape on the new home card with two pearls. EF is Cuttlebug "Caramello". Entering this in Di's Snippet Challenge.
also the current LOTV challenge is use a sentiment - so joining that too!
Thanks everyone for popping over peek and chat, I do hope this has been a help! and may God bless your day wherever you may be.
Shaz in Oz.x

17 comments:

brenda said...

What a genius idea Shaz, it's on my to do list for tomorrow as I really do need a new one. I have this habit of getting glue and all sorts on mine so perhaps I should make a few.

Such a pretty card as well.

B x

Myrna said...

Shaz
What a pretty card from your snippets.
Thank you for the tip on an embossing buddy. I often thought we could make one less expensive than buying one.
Myrna

Anne said...

Thanks for the tip Shaz. Love the card as well. Anne x

MaryH said...

Beautiful softly colored card, adore it. Thanks for the info on making the anti-static pad. I have 3 of those, and am always losing them. This will be a great backup. I forwarded your pic size instructions to another blogger buddy so she said to say thanks for helping the both of us! TFS your lovely card and your smart savvy too! Hugs.

Sarn said...

Hi Shaz . . . yes . . . this is MUCH more creative and pretty than the stray sock I used to put talc in for just this purpose! Nowadays I use the proper embossing buddy thingies!

Hugs
Sarn xxx

Di said...

Absolutely gorgeous Shaz - LOVE the pretty pale blues! You can enter this into the LOTV Challenge, which is to use one of their sentiments right now :)

Posted you prize off today - Airmail of course :)

Hugs, Di xx

Shelly Schmidt said...

Great to know when mine is all done...or when I cannot find it : 0
Love the ATC's- such pretty colors and a great variety of images!

Craftychris said...

What a fab idea, will be giving that a go if I lose mine, thank you! Your card is gorgeous! xx

scrappymo! said...

Thanks for the kind tutorial...in my humble opinion...all these DIY ideas save us a bundle that we can then spend on stamps!!!
teehee

Your card is really pretty and the washi looks great. I have a couple of rolls but have never used them! Want to give them a try but always forget.

Andrea said...

FAB....and so easy even I could manage this one ...now off to find a rag!....Andrea x

Gail said...

You HAVE been busy!
Thanks for sharing this!
I was using a dryer sheet, but it doesn't work too well!

Cathy said...

Very pretty card Shaz, love the soft pastel colours. Great tip for the anti static bag too TFS :) Cathy x

Laine said...

Such lovely aqua shades. Thank your for joining us this week at TPC Challenge.
Laine - DT
xx

Mrs A. said...

Would that be The Doc's underwear I need to be cutting large holes in? Thanks for the great tip. I havn't got a proper one to have lost but do keep getting stray bits of embossing powder on my paper. Hugs Mrs a.

Ingrid said...

Thanks so much for sharing this tip, I only saw a utube clip about them today. A fellow card maker recommended this page!! I'm so glad it's easy to make...! I'm going to make one right now!! Thank you for helping us all!! Now the money I would have spent on that can go on something else!!
God bless you!

Emily said...

Thanks for this tip. I’ve searched high and low for mine and still can’t find it. I’m not buying one as you can bet your life it will turn up. Mind you I’m always losing my crafting stuff ie dies, scissors, things I’ve just cut out. I make another one and low and behold I find it when I don’t need it. Could be something to do with my age! 🤣🤣

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Still using them Emily, just keep refilling them. I did find my proper one but doesn't seem to matter. Both work well. Happy to help. God bless you, Shaz in Oz. X

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...