Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Saturday 12 October 2013

Emily's Extra Large Owl birthday card

Well, it was a certain little girl's birthday coming up so here we see her card - as it turned out after much chopping and changing.
I usually have rough idea/ sketch at the beginning and sometimes I fly through it, and sometimes sort of hobble through the card. Some are more epic in creation than others and this was one of them.
Half way through I was not sure if liked it or not. The card was made on craft paper, and the DP is one bought ages ago now when someone was selling off stash.The body brown/gold shades were made with some new wee ink pads had bought - lovely frosty shades by Tsukineko Brilliance Pigment Ink, first seen on my friend Anne's blog - then few weeks later saw them (and could try the colours out - joy!! try before you buy!) in dew drops at show, first and only one here in town, and yes splurged a little..
The beak and number was glossed up with Dimensional Magic - like Glossy accents but doesn't seem to clog if store lid side down, love it!
Owl's eyes were done with Spellbinder circles, using black, craft and DP for them.
Back of the card in DP spots from same set - mounted two shapes on black card and then cut around them for fine edging. Then attached them with tabs - two at top near eyes on front side and then one larger tab at the bottom so would stand.
I coloured the feet with ink to match and used more Dimensional Magic to stiffen the feet so they would stand nicely.
Poem and greeting were computer generated - and yes, made the poem up. :D as you can tell! Owl was bought pre-punched with SU set on eBay, but changed shirt colour and colour of the owl to match, the leaves came with them.
Needless to say, when I saw her delight as was up there when she was given it and her big eyes and huge smile of surprise made it all worth it, especially when she realised it was for her. Not normally there when folks open cards, so it made with one special.
Many thanks every one for popping over for a peek and chat and may God bless your day wherever you may be.
Shaz in Oz.x
Don't forget this blog's candy ~ link here!


{EDIT: for those wondering how I arrived at this layout for the card I looked online for ideas then ended up using the SU punched owl for the design - bought pre-cut on eBay. See photo right, for when was working out the hand drawn design and colouring.}
Would like to link over with:

24 comments:

Di said...

Hi Shaz!

This is adorable - what a fun and funky owl :) I just spotted this post and had seen on Feedjit that someone from Oz had been rattling the Playground gates :)

The closing times are earlier for the next couple of weeks as am in Thailand right now and to cater for me doing the writeup I adjusted closing to 2am UK time, early-ish morning here and a little bit later where you are of course.

But, please do link this lovely card in when the gates re-open at midnight tonight UK time. I'll try to remember to do it for you but can't promise.

Good to see you playing!

Hugs, Di xx

Di said...

I forgot to say, I adore those Tsukino inks - have a wide selection of the dewdrop sized ones at home and they're really luscious.

Hugs, Di xx

Betsy said...

What a cute, cute card! I'm sure the birthday girl was thrilled. And you wrote the poem too. I'm so impressed. It seems you have many talents, my friend.
Blessings,
Betsy

Neil said...

Hi Shaz. What a special card. I am sure it will be treasured. Hope you have a great day.

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Love your owl...I started a board on the on Pinterest with the idea of making some. But just too much on the table right now!!!

Gail said...

You did a great job with this!
That's why it was so well received!

Rossella said...

This is a fab owl, I love it
Rosie x

Monique said...

What a cute owl birthday card!
xx Monique

Mrs A. said...

Such a sweet owl and love the owl paper on his middle. Must have been lovely to see your little one enjoy her card. Hugs Mrs a.

K8 said...

Fab work, love the owl and sentiment!! Thank you for join us at Artistic Inspirations this week, hugs Kate (DT)

brenda said...

So very sweet Shaz, there is something about Owl's that always makes me smile.

Thanks so much for joining us at Stamping Sensations challenge this month.

B x

Kay Dalton said...

that is super cute ,thanks for joining us at Artistic Inspirations challenge

Anne said...

What a lucky little girl! Wonderful card and I am so glad you persisted! It is delightful! I know what you mean when some cards just take ages to come together.....most of mine are like that!!!!!! This is super, she is going to LOVE it! xx

Angelartistok said...

Love the owl card! What a wonderful treat for the birthday girl!

Anonymous said...

Hello Shaz-Gorgeous Owl card :) and how lovely that you were there to see the delight when it was opened :)
I have brought my Mrs Hoot to the Playground today too-perhaps they can be friends!
Have a lovely day,Nessa xx

scrappymo! said...

Wonderful Owl card and so great that you could share in her delight when it was opened.
Loved the owl paper and the wee owl on the back by your poem!

Such a special card!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Shaz, lovely owl card - I love the dotty paper and I'm sure Emily Elizabeth will love it too. The inks are fabulous - I have a few dewdrop inks too. Elizabeth xx

cebelica said...

Oooh, this is awesome! Such a unique card. I love it! Hugs! xx

Andrea said...

what a fab owl..owls and spots who could resist !...what a lucky lucky birthday girl.. best wishes and its nice to be visiting again as i've not been blog hopping much or commenting ,hope you are well and have a good week hugs Andrea x

Craftychris said...

ooh this is gorgeous! I love owls! xx

Karen Petitt said...

Shaz that is so beautiful! I love owls so I absolutely adore this. Did you use a die or stencil? I so want to be able to make these. Glad you got to see the smile from this stunning card x

Jocelyn aka JoBear2 said...

LOVE your owl card Shaz! Isn't it fantastic when you get to see the reaction of the person opening the card? Often, we miss out on that bit so I am glad that you got to see that bit.

{{hugs}} and blessings
Jocelyn x

Sally H said...

Love your fabulous owl, Shaz! Gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations this month and Good Luck!

Lynne K said...

Love this, Shaz! I love owls, and this one's great, especially the little ones on his tummy! Very creative. Thank you for sharing it with us at Stamping Sensations this month.

Lynne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...