Thank you for taking time to visit, and I hope I am even a tiny bit helpful as I have been helped and blessed by so many others. I have been doing Calligraphy since teens, and card making for many years as well. In 1990 I delighted in the joys of stamping with ink and embossing after a trip to Cairns, Qld. In 2009 I discovered the brayer, 2010 the Cuttlebug, also have now taking to reading up on crafting blogs and lo! Here I am, on one of my own.

I live on the coast of eastern Australia. I am a Christian. I trusted in the LORD down here at the beach, amazingly it is not far from where I now live. It was over 50 years ago, after a Beach Mission Service at the age of 12 years

Monday 15 May 2017

Bizzy Bec's DT Retiform Stamping Technique - Darkroom Door Sail Away

Hi there friends... well, another learning curve for us today, with my DT post for Bizzy Bec's Online craft store. 
 I've found new stamping technique and just had to try it.. it called Retiform Stamping.
If you've no idea what Retiform is, neither did I, though stamping since 1990!
It's great for masculine or feminine cards I've found. My Pinterest page on Retiform Technique is here, with over 50 pins...
 Definition of retiform, by Webster: " composed of crossing lines and interstices : reticular, netlike; ... etc... " 
Left is Darkroom Door Sail Away Stamp set.
This is a grand stamp set isn't it??? See it at Bec's excellent prices HERE!  
Technique can be simple as many are or more complicated as I decided on.
Some basic tips, I thought of:
 *have nice contrasting colour choice, this makes or breaks it. 
* make defined intersecting lines that softly blend out. 
* when stamping images, think about placement and avoid empty space. Have them looking as if they're popping out of intersecting lines, to give more natural look (you'll see what I mean when we come to that). 😉
 
No-one else seemed to bother with this stage.. but felt as mine was tad complicated, I needed to map it out first. Didn't strictly stick to it but was a guide. Used it as template also in inking.
Template for centre, getting ready to ink centre, staring from edges used thee Distress Inks - Faded Jeans, Stormy Sky, Mermaid Lagoon.

Masked off portions and inked them up in alternating shades. Used Antique Linen, Fossilized amber, Frayed Burlap, with bit of gold glitz, for yellow shades..
Learned this from watching videos, often they had a halo around edges, so I overlapped them just a tiny bit so as to avoid halo.
Adding Masks now for image stamping, using smaller and larger stamps from DD Sail Away.
Finished Retiform. The white mark is actually a shine not white area. Shine is from tape which was not re-positionable.. am no longer using it for that. I have added matte medium glue to the residue it left and it is now matte and fine :D
Card - take 1 because wanted to re-do the central image!
Card Take 2 you can see below. Partly I like the first card, but felt too little contrast with central image, hence remake of it. It is what it is, now! :D

Lawn Fawn So Much to say ... birthday greeting.
Distress inks -
Antique Linen, Fossilized amber, Frayed Burlap,
Faded Jeans, Stormy Sky, Mermaid Lagoon, Salty Ocean.
Ranger Archival Ink for navy stamping -Cobalt  + Sepia for splatter.
(if you see something that is not listed in store, then ask Bec via email to see if she can order it in for you! 

You may like to  join in the Bizzy Bec's Anything Goes challenge for May HERE.. someone has to win that prize.

 I really appreciate all who call by to say hi! 
(Also would love it if any of you have time to pop over and comment on my DT post over here at Bizzy Bec's blog!)
 May God richly bless your day wherever you may be! 
Shaz in Oz.x

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations. Psalm 89:1

Linking up to:
1. Word Art Wednesday - anything goes     http://wordartwednesday.blogspot.com.au  
2. Di's Snippety challenge, used snippets - http://pixiescraftyworkshop.blogspot.com.au/

19 comments:

Di said...

Oooh, this is fabulous Shaz! Now I have already heard of retiform stamping or very similar - I think both Kathy K and Sarn have tried it out on their blog. You got a wonderful result! Love it.

Hugs

Di xx

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

The nautical theme and colors is just done so well. I admire your card, you have showcased the technique perfectly, and it is one that I have never had good results. Thanks for sharing and have a great day!

Pia S said...

This is something I'll try to, for sure. Think I've got several stamp sets where every stamp would be put to use, many of them for the first time. Seeing the first and second card I think you were right to redo it, but it hadn't crossed my mind if I hadn't seen them both. Thanks to sharing step by step info for your card!

Cara said...

Brilliant explanation of how to do this, really helpful. Loved how your card(s) turned out! Very striking. Cara x

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Wow! Great technique here, thanks so much for sharing!! I had to try this!
Your card looks really gorgous!!
Hugs

Chris said...

Fabulous technique and fabulous result! Lovely clear step by step guide too...looking forward to trying this out! Thanks
Chris
xx

Claire said...

Great technique and works superb with your choice of stamps and colour scheme, really striking.

Betsy said...

Happy Sunday sweet Shaz! You do such a wonderful job showing each step in the process of card making. This card is beautiful. It's amazing to see how intricate the process is. You are such a wonderful blessing in my life. I appreciate your prayers and the sweet words and scripture you share with me on my blog. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Blessings,
Betys

Megan J said...

Hi Shaz, a stunning card and a wonderful technique, the Darkroom Door stamps were a fabulous choice, thank you for the tutorial and explanation of a technique I have never come across before. Have a wonderful week... Megan

Valerija said...

What an adorable card! Great technique and I love the result.
Valerija xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Fabulous masculine card Shaz, and I love the way you have used the technique.
Blessings
Maxine

Anne said...

Wow this is FAB! What a great technique! Your card is superb, I love it! Someone is going to be very happy when they receive this! Bravo! xx

Andrea said...

Goodness Shaz, what a fabulous card, the technique sounds quite complicated but the result is an amazing card, what a great idea to map it out first . I love the colour scheme and the stamping is superb.Crafty hugs Andrea x

sharon said...

Wow!!!!! Shaz your card is incredible :) The nautical stamps are fabulous.
I also love your new stamping technique and I am so pleased that you decided to try it and share it with us all.
Have a fabulous week
hugs
sharon :)

Dorlene Durham said...

I have never heard of that technique either. It is fabulous! Love it and I must try it too. LOL. Dorlene

Berina RGA said...

Beautiful cards!! I love them both.

Conniecrafter said...

You are right, this set is just perfect for this technique, great main image with plenty of images that go with it wonderfully! I had scene this technique years ago but I can't remember if I ever gave it a try I love the colors you used too!!

loz said...

Fantastic card and technique Shaz..Loz

Linby said...

wow what a lot of work but the end result is amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...